This week’s “Albums That Changed My Life” slice of goodness comes from Paradise Fears frontman Sam Miller!
The band kick off their North American tour with Action Item today. All dates and ticket information can be found here.
Toby Keith – Pull My Chain
First album I ever loved. Can’t hate it.
John Mayer – Battle Studies
I feel like this is the only collection of songs that I can tangibly point to and say “I grew emotionally as a person because of these songs.”
Panic! At The Disco – A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
Definitely the album that got me started Never have I found an album so stacked, front to back, with great, innovative songs.
Jack’s Mannequin – Everything In Transit
Favorite album ever. Such an amazing vibe. Gave me a dream to chase.
Here are five things you need to know about Paradise Fears who’s gearing up to hit the road on The Resolution Tour with Action Item this January and February!
1. South Dakota’s pop-rockers Paradise Fears consists of lead vocalist Sam Miller, guitarist and vocalist Cole Andre, drummer Lucas Zimmerman, guitarist Jordan Merrigan, keyboardist Michael Walker, and bassist Marcus Sand, all who grew up together. What inspired them to make a band? “We were bored and loved Taking Back Sunday,” Sam tells J-14. “We just started playing music together and it sort of just evolved from there.”
2. Do they look familiar? That may be because they’ve been on the pop-rock tour circuit for the past few years! They have opened for the likes of The Cab, The Summer Set, The Ready Set, and even All Time Low — who were one of the first bands to put them on a lineup after they had followed them around, giving out CDs and meeting fans at shows.
3. Originally, the band had been called Paradise Fears The Turtle. “I wish I had a reason for it but I don’t attempt to understand the 15-year-old mind of myself,” Sam tells J-14. “Then we were like, ‘wait, no, that’s dumb. People are going to think we’re like a Grateful Dead or a jam band. So we dropped ‘The Turtle’ and became Paradise Fears.”
4. The boys just finished their first debut album that is due out early next year! What’s it all about? “I think it’s a honest prospective on what it’s like to pick up from a small home that you’ve known your entire life and then go and try to chase a dream in a very frustrating world and a very frustrating industry and the pressures that come along with that,” Sam explains. “It’s a very hopeful album.” Who inspires Sam the most? “I have very inspiring parents. They’re just like two walking little fortune cookies,” He tells J-14. “Half of the lyrics from the album are probably pulled straight from my dad.”
5. Their first single is a song called “Sanctuary” that Sam wrote when he was 16. “My dad’s a pastor and he had this giant beautiful sanctuary that he preaches in and there was an incredible 25,000 dollar grand piano in that room that sounds incredible and I’m convinced no where in the world can you get a better piano sound,” Sam says. “When I was frustrated as a kid writing was a very therapeutic thing I would do and I would go in there all the time when I’d get upset or scared or uncomfortable in my own skin and I’d play this piano and sing to myself.”
A few weeks back Buzznet was invited to hang out with Paradise Fears at their swanky studio in Los Angeles. While we did talk about the new album they are working on and new tour, Sam Miller, Lucas Zimmerman and I also just sat back and chatted about the important things â€“ like their favorite TV shows and soft pretzels! LOL #musicrules.
We also got into their recent move to LA, hypothetical celebrity sightings, who they would want to be in One Direction and much more! Love these boys!
Also be sure to check out both of the special acoustic performances they did just for Buzznet!
We got the chance to hang out with Paradise Fears recently in Los Angeles, and they gave us the 411 on their new album. We also had the boys do what they do best and perform a few acoustic songs for us! We know, we are very lucky! Take a look below at this acoustic version of “Sanctuary” with a slight mashup.
If you like what you hear, be sure to catch all of Paradise Fears; Samuel Miller, Lucas Zimmerman, Jordan Merrigan, Michael Walker, Cole Andre and Marcus Sand on the road this fall with Go Radio.
Recently I caught up with Sam Miller and Lucas Zimmerman of Paradise Fears at their cool studio in LA. We decided to hang outside and talk about the new album the boys are currently hard at work on. We got to the bottom of what this album’s vibe will be, how the recording process has been going and how they are preparing for their new tour with Go Radio. #musicrules.
Take a look at what they shared with me below. Based off what they told me, I can’t wait to hear these new songs! We have much more coming soon with the guys!
If you haven’t heard of Paradise Fears, now’s your chance to catch up and discover the sweet sounds of the six piece South Dakota bred band! Samuel Miller, Lucas Zimmerman, Jordan Merrigan, Michael Walker, Cole Andre and Marcus Sand are currently recording their first studio album in Los Angeles and Buzznet was lucky enough to be invited to one of their sessions! We had the chance to catch up with the guys and they even treated us to an awesome acoustic version of their song, “Just A Feeling!” Check it out!
Let us know what you think of Paradise Fears in the comments below and keep checking back for our exxclusive interview and another acoustic performance from these mega-stars in the making!
We are very excited to announce our new Pup On The Rise, Paradise Fearsâ€”a â€śpassion rockâ€ť band from South Dakota looking to make their mark on the music scene with an inspirational message. They have already toured the country with acts such as All Time Low, The Cab, and The Summer Set. It wonâ€™t be long before Paradise Fears are the new face of the pop-rock world!
Head below to watch our very expansive collection of exclusive videos with Paradise Fears featuring an acoustic version of their latest single â€śHome,â€ť and several interviews that will help you get to know your new favorite band a little better.